Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Week 18

This week was good! Tomorrow I will have a new companion! He´s from Peru and only speaks Spanish! So I´ll have to get good at Spanish really fast haha! But I actually love Spanish - it´s super great and right now I can at least hold a conversation! But I´m excited to have my first Latino companion and I hope he can help me get rid of my American accent and teach me to speak like a real Latino!

I´ll be staying in this area and I´m actually really happy because we have some really good people we are teaching, and I´m excited to see their progression more! This week I really got to see the power of Satan in the lives of each one of us... In my mission I have the opportunity to talk to all kinds of people and I can really see the things that have destroyed their lives. Addictions are one of the most powerful tools of the devil. Everyday we talk to people who are struggling to quit smoking or drinking and just feel defeated. And its so sad to see the incredible influence that cigarettes have on people. It changes everything about their lives. There are a ton of people that were happy before and were going to church, but now with their addiction they feel ashamed to come to church and even though they want to change, they feel hopeless. We also meet people who have or are doing drugs. And these people are some of the saddest people I have ever seen. We have met both men and women in their 20´s that were smart and healthy, but now they can´t even speak understandable sentences because the drugs have messed with their brains! I´m so grateful for the things that my parents taught me and the knowledge I have from the Word of Wisdom! As sad as these peoples´ lives are, there is hope. That´s what I love the most about the Gospel of Jesus Christ is that through this gospel all people have the chance and the hope to change their lives and truly be happy! I am so grateful for the part I can play in helping people change their lives! We get to meet people with messed up lives, but we also get to know people who have changed their lives and now are just happy and thankful for the Lord´s hand in their lives!

Love y´all! Hope all is well at home! Don´t do drugs and stay warm in the snow! ;)
 
Love,
Elder Cole
 
 
Parts from the family email:
 
So I´ll be in Las Piedras for at least 6 weeks more, but its good! We have some really good investigators and I´m excited to see them baptized before I leave!  My new companion is a Latino! He´s from Peru!  I´m kinda nervous to have a companion from another country, but I´m also super pumped to get to know him and I hope he can help me with my Spanish!  I´m excited to learn from him and understand his culture more I guess... It´ll be hard but I´m excited for the change!
 
The house hasn´t flooded more and we have the power strip up. When it rains we just keep an eye on the door to see if water is coming. Haha! I hope y´all are enjoying the snow.... I won´t get to see it for at least 2 years haha!  Yeah we use the same church manuals, but they haven´t come yet and only like 4 people in our priesthood quorum have phones with Internet so its really hard for the lesson to move along.

We had a baptism this week too! She´s super great and I´m going to write more about her in my group email.... I´m not going to write that I have baptisms in my group email a whole lot cause I don´t want to seem like I'm bragging. Love y´all! 
Love,
Elder Cole
 
 
 
 
 
 
There is a missionary couple that take good care of the young elders and sisters in Uruguay and they have a blog.  It's a fun and informational blog to read and it makes me (Jaycie) so grateful for them:
 
 
 
This is a part of their blog about Trace with a picture.  :)
 
 
"We took these pictures as we visited the various zones to install mosquito nets.  I hope you can see the brightness in their eyes as they have the chance to share the Gospel.  It is a tough job, but one that brings joy to their lives.  We did the Las Piedras Zone on Friday.  It was very humid and even tried to rain.  Elder Ward and Cole met us at their house as they were hurrying back from picking up lunch.  As they arrived they were soaked in sweat.  Elder Ward’s face looked like you had just thrown a cup of water on him.  I can’t get that image out of my head as it is such an example of how hard they work."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment