Monday, January 2, 2017

Week 16

Sorry the Internet crashed so I could not send an email last week... But Merry Christmas! Christmas was really awesome here! It´s so different too! Usually at home we have a nice Christmas dinner around the table, but here we ate asado (Uruguayan BBQ) and everyone was outside with these big fires and there's music blaring, and everyone is setting off fireworks! It´s sooo much different... But I love it! 

We visited a ton of houses and at every house we sang a Christmas hymn (that wasn´t my idea) and just shared a message of Christ. Also at every house we got offered some more food and eat a little bit more. By the end of the night I was so sick, and I was still full Christmas morning! Haha! Also, here everyone sets off fireworks at exactly 12:00 Christmas Eve so we got to stay up and it was great! Like the 4th of July, but most of the fireworks here would be illegal in the US! Haha! It was a Christmas like I have never experienced .. and I enjoyed every minute of it! 

Then New Years we ate asado again with a different member family and it was just as great! Then we climbed to the roof of our house and watched the fireworks at midnight! It was really impressive and there were way more than during Christmas! 

On Christmas day while we were in church, it started to just downpour! After about 2 hours we got home and our house was flooded! We had about 2-3 inches of water all over our house and the rain was still pouring! We spent the next three hours using a dust pan and brooms to just get what we could out and stop more from coming in! It was an experience... I´ve never seen rain like this in Central Washington haha! 

I also killed a huge spider and the second I smashed it, it exploded into 100 baby spiders! I´m not real afraid of spiders, but this surprised me! Haha! 

These last two weeks have been really good for mission work too! I realize my last email was kinda depressing, but I´m just going be honest with the feelings I have each week haha! 

Really I love Uruguay and the people here are just some of the best people I´ve ever met! I have been looking forward to my mission for years and actually it´s better than I imagined! The work is pretty much what you would expect, teaching of Christ; but when you feel the way a missionary does, the mission is an experience of a life-time! We just get to feel the love of God for others everyday, and I can´t explain it, but it´s incredible!   Hope y'all are well! Have a great New Year! Praying for ya! 


Love,
Elder Cole


Parts from the family email:


I´m doing good! Our house hasn´t flooded again so don´t worry, its been close a few times haha! We can listen to music from the church that's it. So I´m going to download a bunch of music on my thumb drive from LDS.Org. Elder Ward has a little music speaker that takes thumb drives so we can use that. 
Ya I´m actually enjoying salads and vegetables now because we don´t eat them a whole lot so its nice to eat something fresh every so often. Usually I eat it with oil, the mayonnaise is ok... I eat it usually in my rice. 
We stopped by to sing for members, inactives, and investigators. I haven't had Capybara yet. They eat Capybara and armadillo mostly in the rural areas and some missionaries never get to eat them, but I´m hopeful haha!

This week was good! We ate asado again with a different member family and it was awesome! Haha! 
We had to pay to pump the septic tank because our homeowner shares our house. We are separated by a false wall so it's like a duplex or something. But she had poop coming out of her faucet and she blames us for filling the septic tank haha! 
We´ll probably have a baptism this weekend if everything goes well, but our investigator is nine so we expect it to be pretty smooth. 
I use sunscreen everyday and my shirt sleeves are starting to turn yellow because of it.... haha.... But its no big deal and I´ll try to bleach it or something later. 
Glad y´all are doing well! I won´t get to see snow until 2018 haha! If you´re still looking for stuff to send me in a box, I have some ideas of things we can´t get here but its no big deal. My list ;) : beef jerky, more brownies, sloppy joe mix, Reese's PB cups, Gold fish, Doritos, and floss picks. Love y´all!







Flooded house on Christmas day











No comments:

Post a Comment